Dr. Steven Crawford with portrait
of Dr. Christian Ramsey, Jr.
Welcome to the Department of Family and Preventive Medicine. We are delighted in your interest in the OU Health Sciences Center and our department.
The Department of Family and Preventive Medicine is part of the University of Oklahoma College of Medicine, a doctoral degree-granting research university serving the educational, cultural, and economic needs of the state, region, and nation.
Created by the Oklahoma Territorial Legislature in 1890, the University of Oklahoma enrolls 25,000 students on campuses in Norman, Tulsa, and Oklahoma City. Located in the OU Health Sciences Center, the OU College of Medicine has a strong commitment to academic excellence. The medical school has been ranked by U.S. News and World Report as one of the top U.S. medical schools in clinical education.
The Department of Family and Preventive Medicine strives to address the health care needs of the people of the State of Oklahoma. As our state and people have many facets, this mission must include many initiatives including:
- Training medical students to be the physician of first contact for the undifferentiated, unreferred patient as they present to the health care system for primary care.
- Training resident physicians to provide excellent primary care to all patients presenting for primary care.
- Providing excellent health care to the patients in our communities, regardless of their life situation.
- Training physicians seeking to serve the people of our state in rural areas.
- Conducting cutting-edge primary healthcare research to inform patient care and the educational mission of the Department while providing research opportunities to medical students, residents, health professionals, and fellows.
There is a lot more to our Department and we invite you to explore our website. If you would like further information, please contact us.
Steven Crawford, MD