THE LLOYD E. RADER ENDOWED CHAIR IN PATHOLOGY
Lloyd E. Rader was the Director of the Department of Institutions, Social and Rehabilitative Services (later named the Department of Human Services) from 1951 to 1982. Management of the University Hospital and Children's Hospital were transferred to his department on July 1, 1973 and he was successful in rescuing these institutions through an ambitious rebuilding and modernization program. The Pathology and Laboratory services of the hospitals were reinvigorated by his efforts and as a result of the modernization of these facilities were able to provide the latest diagnostic information to physicians. This permanent endowment honoring Lloyd E. Rader was established to support the position of Chairman of the Department of Pathology at the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center to assure that high quality pathology and laboratory services would always be available to Oklahomans.
THE ALFRED M. SHIDELER PROFESSORSHIP OF PATHOLOGY
Established April, 1994
This permanent endowment was established to honor Alfred Max Shideler, M.D. (1922 - 1989), a graduate in 1950 of the University of Oklahoma College of Medicine, pathology resident at University Hospital, and faculty member of the University of Oklahoma Department of Pathology. As the head of the Pathology Service and later as Chief of Staff of the Muskogee Veterans Administration Medical Center (until 1978), Dr. Shideler fostered close working relationships with the OU College of Medicine, The University Hospitals, and the Oklahoma City VAMC. Three generations of the Shideler family graduated from OU and it was Dr. Shideler's wish to help provide for future generations in the areas of Medical Education and Medical Research.
THE JORDAN - HEARTLAND PROFESSORSHIP OF
PATHOLOGY HOUSE STAFF EDUCATION
Established July, 1996
On April 19, 1995, the Oklahoma City community in the heartland of America was forever changed. The bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building had a profound impact on the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center. Faculty, resident physicians, students, and staff worked countless hours to assist the victims of this tragedy. One of the largest projects was the investigation of those who died in the bombing. Pathology resident physicians devoted themselves to this massive effort of evidence collection and body identification under the direction of Dr. Fred Jordan, Chief Medical Examiner for the State of Oklahoma. To honor Dr. Jordan and commemorate this extraordinary collaboration between the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner and the Department of Pathology Residency Training Program, this endowment was created to support the Director of the Pathology Residency Training Program.
THE PRESBYTERIAN HEALTH FOUNDATION CHAIR IN PATHOLOGY
Established August, 1996
The Presbyterian Health Foundation has long championed the efforts of the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center to become one of the premier academic health centers in the United States. The Presbyterian Health Foundation is the largest private contributor to the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center and has often supported research efforts by members of the Department of Pathology. In recognition of the importance of genetics in the understanding and diagnosis of human diseases, an endowment has been established by the Presbyterian Health Foundation to fund a position for an experimental pathologist dedicated to studies of human genetics.
THE OKLAHOMA STATE ASSOCIATION OF PATHOLOGISTS ENDOWED
PROFESSORSHIP OF PATHOLOGY
Established June, 1999
The Oklahoma State Association of Pathologists (OSAP) was founded in 1955 to extend practice and education in pathology throughout the State of Oklahoma. OSAP is dedicated to providing the latest scientific methods in defining and diagnosing the essential nature, causes, and development of diseases and other abnormal conditions afflicting humans of all ages. In 1999, members of OSAP made personal contributions to provide an endowment to assure funding for a position to be held by a prominent academic pathologist interested in pathology service and education. The funding of this professorship is meant to encourage closer cooperation and communication among pathologists from throughout Oklahoma, adherence to proper standards of medical practice and ethics, and the availability of information to the general public regarding the practice, goals, and activities of all pathologists.
Recipient of the Oklahoma State Association Endowed Professorship of Pathology
John H. Holliman Professorship of
Pathology Undergraduate Medical Education
Established December 2001
A long-time faculty member, Dr. Holliman graduated from the University of Oklahoma College of Medicine in 1975, completed a residency in Anatomic and Clinical Pathology at the University Hospital in 1979, and joined the OU Faculty in 1980. He became interested in medical student education early in his career and thereafter endeavored to improve the quality of medical undergraduate education and to serve as an advocate for all students at the Health Sciences Center. He and his wife, Claudia, established this endowment to enable the Department of Pathology to permanently support a faculty position dedicated to excellence in medical student education.