The Pediatric Hospitalist Program at Oklahoma Children’s Hospital is in its 12th year of service providing inpatient care to general pediatric and specialty patients. The primary focus of the hospitalist service is to provide up to date, evidence based cared for the hospitalized child with attention to efficiency.
What is a Hospitalist?
Pediatric hospitalists are pediatricians who are specialized in caring for children admitted to the hospital. We provide in house coverage 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Therefore, we are able to respond quickly to patient needs and emergencies as well as promptly coordinate your child’s care with needed specialists during their stay. The hospitalist team will communicate with your primary care physician throughout your child’s stay. We also help arrange follow up appointments and prescribe necessary medications at the time of discharge.
Quality Inpatient Care
Pediatric hospitalists have a special skill set to help manage a full spectrum of serious and medically complex illnesses. Some examples of diseases treated include:
- Respiratory illnesses such as pneumonia, croup, bronchiolitis, and asthma
- Urinary tract infections and pyelonephritis
- Sepsis and meningitis
- Flu and flu like illnesses along with their complications
- Gastroenteritis and dehydration
- Seizures – both new onset and chronic
- Osteomyelitis, cellulitis and abscesses
- Failure to thrive