We are so excited to welcome you into the College of Medicine. Below you will find information to help prepare for your first year in medical school. This page will be updated as new information becomes available.
Optional Summer Q&A Sessions
Starting medical school can be an exciting an overwhelming process. To help ease your nerves, we have scheduled two Zoom Q&A sessions. They are COMPLETELY OPTIONAL. As you think of questions this summer, make note of them and bring them to one or both of these sessions. Everyone will benefit from hearing the questions you ask so don't be shy! Representatives from the Offices of Student Affairs and Medical Education will be available to answer your questions.
Thursday, July 8
Meeting ID: 929 5418 5394
Thursday, August 12
Meeting ID: 970 2713 1160
Class of 2025 Orientation Events
Tuesday, August 17 - Thursday, August 19
Basic Sciences and Education Building
The first year Prologue course (aka "orientation") is an ungraded course that introduces beginning first year medical students to their medical curriculum, campus and college resources, and concepts of professionalism and societal expectations of the physician.
White Coat Ceremony (Required)
Thursday, August 19 at 7 p.m.
Samis Education Center in the Children's Hospital
The White Coat ceremony is a rite of passage for medical students and was created by the Arnold P. Gold Foundation in 1993. During the ceremony, a white coat is placed on each student's shoulders and the Hippocratic Oath is recited, signifying their entrance into the medical profession.
The Office of Student Affairs will enroll you in your courses later this summer. You do not need to do anything regarding your enrollment at this time. Once you are enrolled, we will send you information on sitting for your student ID and arranging for on-campus parking.
Summer To-Do List
Immediate Attention Required:
- Activate your OUHSC account. You should have received an e-mail from OUHSC IT after you accepted. If you did not receive the e-mail, cannot find the e-mail, or don't know how to activate your account, please contact the IT Service Desk at 405-271-2203.
- Set-Up your OUHSC e-mail account and check it regularly. Questions about this can be directed to the IT Service Desk at 405-271-2203. Beginning July 1 we will only send information to your OUHSC e-mail address.
By July 9:
- Fill out our Student Information Form. This form asks some basic information about how we should communicate with you as well as information for the White Coat Ceremony. Fill it out here.
You will receive more information about how to complete and submit these items. This is meant to be an overview.
- American Heart Association (AHA) Basic Life Support (BLS) Certification
- All medical students are required to have an active BLS certification.
- The certification lasts for two years. You will renew it before your third year and take an additional course (ACLS).
- Your course must be certified by the American Heart Association.
- There must be a hands-on skills component.
- You must take one this summer to remain compliant over the next two years. Your certification cannot expire before May 2023.
- You can take this course anywhere that fits the criteria above. We will also offer some courses for a discounted rate through EMSC at Children's Hospital (dates TBD).
- Drug Screen through Complio
- All medical students complete a Urine Drug Screen (UDS) annually.
- More information will be sent about how and where to complete this.
- Vaccine Records
- A list of required vaccinations can be found here - DO NOT SUBMIT THIS FORM.
- We will send more information about how to submit these documents. However, you may wish to begin collecting these documents so that they are ready to upload.
- A note about the COVID-19 vaccination - Effective June 1, 2021, all COM students are required to provide the completed COVID-19 Vaccine Documentation Form. This is to protect our patients and each other. We will include more robust information about this in a separate e-mail.
- More information about required vaccinations and documentation can be found here.