- MD degree from University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston in 1995
- MS degree in Clinical Investigation from University of Florida in 2001
- Residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology at University of Florida in Gainesville 1995-1999
- Fellowship in Maternal-Fetal Medicine at University of Florida in Gainesville 1999-2002
- Obstetrics and Gynecology 2003-present
- Maternal-Fetal Medicine 2005-present
Areas of Clinical Interest
- Prenatal ultrasound and diagnostic procedures
- Percutaneous umbilical blood sampling and fetal transfusion
- Abdominal cerclage
- Medical complications of pregnancy
- Obstetric complications of pregnancy
- Infections in pregnancy
- Abnormal labor
- Obesity complicating pregnancy
Select Honors & Accomplishments:
- Alpha Omega Alpha, elected 1994
- Roy Pitkin Award 2003
- Association of Professors of Gynecology and Obstetrics Excellence in Teaching Award 2005
- Top 100 (top 5%) reviewer for American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology 2004 and 2007
- Top 10% reviewer for Obstetrics & Gynecology 2004, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2019
- Best abstract, 2006 meeting of the Infectious Diseases Society for Obstetrics and Gynecology
- CREOG National Faculty Award 2008
- Best Doctors in America 2013-present
- McCurdy R, Felder L, Saccone G, Edwards RK, Thornburg LL, Marrs C, Conner SN, Strauss R, Berghella V. The association of skin incision placement during cesarean delivery with wound complications in obese women: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 2020 (online ahead of print).
- Wang MJ, Jauk VC, George DM, Kuper SG, Edwards RK, Szychowski JM, Mazzoni SE, Files P, Tita AT, Subramaniam A, Harper LM. Patient satisfaction with outpatient cervical ripening in parous women. Am J Perinatol 2020 (online ahead of print).
- Edwards RK, Norris ML, West MD, Zornes C, Loeffler KA, Peck JD. Controlled release dinoprostone insert and Foley compared to Foley alone: a randomized pilot trial. Am J Perinatol 2020 (online ahead of print).
- Gurung S, Nadeau H, Maxted M, Peregrine J, Reuter D, Norris A, Edwards R, Hyatt K, Singleton K, Papin J, Myers D. Maternal zika virus (ZIKV) infection following vaginal inoculation with ZIKV-infected semen in the timed-pregnant olive baboon. J Virol 2020; 94:e00058-20.
- Pierce SL, Maxted ME, Peck JD, Lutz JS, Lopez-Davila MF, Vieira F, Atchley CB, Edwards RK. Impact of a policy to deliver at 39 weeks for the indication of class III obesity. Obesity (Silver Spring) 2020; 28:563-9.
- Subramaniam A, Van Der Pol WJ, Ptacek T, Lobashevsky E, Neely C, Biggio JR Jr, Lefkowitz EJ, Morrow CD, Edwards RK. Midtrimester microbial DNA variations in maternal serum of women who experience spontaneous preterm birth. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 2020; 33:359-67.
- Shore E, Sobel M, Burwick RM, Edwards RK. Perspectives on outpatient cervical ripening across borders. Contemporary OB/GYN 2020 supplement April 8, 2020.
- Edwards RK, Euliano NR, Singh S, LeDuke RC, Andrews WW, Jauk V, Subramaniam A, Szychowski JM. Evaluating fundal dominant contractions on spatiotemporal electrohysterography as a marker for effective labor contractions. Am J Perinatol 2019; 36:924-9.
- Pierce SL, Shibib DR, Robinson D, Edwards RK. A case of maternal sepsis and fetal demise associated with Streptococcus pseudoporcinus. Case Rep Obstet Gynecol 2019; article ID 4309191, 3 pages.
- Becker DA, Tang Y, Jacobs AP, Biggio JR, Edwards RK, Subramaniam A. Sensitivity of prenatal ultrasound for detection of trisomy 18. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 2019; 32:3716-22.
- Nadeau HCG, Edwards RK. Prophylaxis against early-onset group B streptococcus infections in pregnant women who are allergic to penicillin. Clin Obstet Gynecol 2019; 62:771-80.
- Kuper SG, Jauk VC, Edwards RK, Harper LM. Outpatient Foley catheter for induction of labor in parous women: a randomized controlled trial (author reply). Obstet Gynecol 2018; 132:1063.
- Kuper SG, Jauk VC, George DM, Edwards RK, Szychowski JM, Mazzoni SE, Wang MJ, Files P, Tita AT, Subramaniam A, Harper LM. Outpatient Foley catheter for induction of labor in parous women: a randomized controlled trial. Obstet Gynecol 2018; 132:94-101.
- Subramaniam A, Owen J, Campbell SB, Harper LM, Fitzwater JL, Edwards RK. Maternal body mass index and oxytocin exposure in nulliparous women: is there an interaction associated with maternal and neonatal morbidities? J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 2018; 31:2013-8.
- Pierce S, Bakker R, Myers DM, Edwards RK. Clinical insights for cervical ripening and labor induction using prostaglandins. AJP Rep 2018; 8:e307-e314.
- Smid MC, Edwards RK, Biggio JR, Dorman K, LeDuke RC, Lesher LL, Manuck TA, Saade GR, Salazar AE, Stamilio DM, Stuebe AM, Tita ATN, Torres CM, Varner MW, Wapner RJ. Class III obese women’s preferences and concerns for cesarean skin incision: a multicenter survey. Am J Perinatol 2017; 34:289-94.
- Anderson S, Edwards RK. Fetal monitoring concerns. In: Gabrielli A, Layon AJ, Yu M, eds. Civetta, Taylor, and Kirby’s Critical Care, 5th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins, 2017.
- Alvarez MD, Subramaniam A, Tang Y, Edwards RK. Obesity as an independent risk factor for group B streptococcal colonization. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 2017; 30:2876-9.
- Powell MF, Morgan CJ, Cantu JA, Sakawi Y, Biggio JR, Tita AT, Szychowski JM, Edwards RK. Obesity and neonatal cord blood gas results at cesarean: effect of intraoperative blood pressure. Am J Perinatol 2017; 34:716-21.
- Wood SL, Brewer F, Ellison R, Biggio JR, Edwards RK. Prenatal carrier screening for spinal muscular atrophy. Am J Perinatol 2016; 33:1211-17.
- Subramaniam A, Ptacek T, Lobashevsky E, Cliver S, Lefkowitz EJ, Morrow CD, Biggio JR Jr, Edwards RK. Midtrimester cervicovaginal microbiota: identification of microbial variations associated with puerperal infection at term. Am J Perinatol 2016; 33:1165-75.
- Jacobs AP, Subramaniam A, Tang Y, Philips JB 3rd, Biggio JR, Edwards RK, Robin NH. Trisomy 18: A survey of opinions, attitudes, and practices of neonatologists. Am J Med Genet A. 2016; 170:2638-43.
- Jain S, Kilgore M, Edwards RK, Owen J. Revisiting the cost-effectiveness of universal cervical length screening: importance of progesterone efficacy. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2016; 215:101.e1-7.
- Subramaniam A, Jacobs AP, Tang Y, Neely C, Philips JB, Biggio JR, Robin NH, Edwards RK. Trisomy 18: a single-center evaluation of management trends and experience with aggressive obstetric or neonatal intervention. Am J Med Genet A 2016; 170:838-46.
- Edwards RK, Kumar R, Zhi D, Szychowski J, Subramaniam A, Lefkowitz EJ, Morrow C. Gravidas with class III obesity: evaluating the abdominal skin microbiota above and below the panniculus. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 2016; 29:3312-6.
- Subramaniam A, Lees BF, Becker DA, Tang Y, Khan MJ, Edwards RK. Evaluating human papillomavirus as a risk factor for preterm birth or pregnancy-related hypertension. Obstet Gynecol 2016; 127:233-40.
- Subramaniam A, Corvey KJ, Kilgore ML, Edwards RK. Planned cesarean delivery compared to induction of labor in women with class III obesity: a cost-minimization analysis. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 2016; 29:3084-8.
- Edwards RK. Is there a subset of morbidly obese gravidas who should forgo labor? Contemporary OB/GYN 2016; 61:24-7.
- Sutton AL, Sanders LB, Subramaniam A, Jauk VC, Edwards RK. Abdominal incision selection for cesarean delivery of women with class III obesity. Am J Perinatol 2016; 33:547-51.
- Subramaniam A, Kumar R, Cliver SP, Zhi D, Szychowski JM, Abramovici A, Biggio JR, Lefkowitz EJ, Morrow C, Edwards RK. Vaginal microbiota in pregnancy: evaluation based on vaginal flora, birth outcome, and race. Am J Perinatol 2016; 33:401-8.
- Smid MC, Smiley SG, Schulkin J, Stamilio DM, Edwards RK, Stuebe AM. The problem of the pannus: physician preferences for cesarean skin incision in morbidly obese women. Am J Perinatol 2016; 33:463-72.