Membership is based on evidence of excellence in education documented through an application completed by the applicant. The application includes: (1) a letter of support from the chair, (2) current CV, (3) educator portfolio.
Applications are due on or before March 1st by 5:00 p.m. Please submit all letters of support via PDF to AcademyofTeachingScholars@ouhsc.edu.
Each application is reviewed using peer-review process via a review panel of Academy members from the Membership and Standards Committee. A panel of Academy members will review and score all applications, and only those that meet the criteria will be granted membership. Examples of successful applications are at the bottom of this page.
Faculty will be considered eligible for membership if they:
- Are faculty members within the College of Medicine
- Support the teaching mission of the College of Medicine
- Are in good standing within the College of Medicine
- Provide evidence of quality and quantity of educational activities in teaching, educational activities, scholarly work related to teaching and educational leadership, and administration.
Benefits of Membership
Membership benefits include:
- Recognition of excellence in teaching and educational scholarship
- Service to the institution in the area of Education
- Leadership opportunities
- Opportunities for ongoing interactions and collaborations with colleagues who are committed and engaged in teaching and scholarship
- Rigorous peer review of evidence of teaching quality and quantity that can facilitate an academic career (ie, tenure and promotion processes, annual performance reviews, recognition and awards)
- Access to educational research/scholarship support
The Membership and Standards Committee was created to establish and revise standards for Academy of Teaching Scholars membership, refine model portfolios, and oversee the membership selection process.