- MD degree from University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston in 1995
- MS degree in Clinical Investigation from University of Florida in 2001
- Residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology at University of Florida in Gainesville 1995-1999
- Fellowship in Maternal-Fetal Medicine at University of Florida in Gainesville 1999-2002
- Obstetrics and Gynecology 2003-present
- Maternal-Fetal Medicine 2005-present
- Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine
- Infectious Diseases Society for Obstetrics and Gynecology
- American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine
Areas of Clinical Interest
- Prenatal ultrasound and diagnostic procedures
- Percutaneous umbilical blood sampling and fetal transfusion
- Abdominal cerclage
- Medical complications of pregnancy
- Obstetric complications of pregnancy
- Infections in pregnancy
- Abnormal labor
- Obesity complicating pregnancy
Select Honors & Accomplishments:
- Alpha Omega Alpha, elected 1994
- Roy Pitkin Award 2003
- Association of Professors of Gynecology and Obstetrics Excellence in Teaching Award 2005
- Top 100 (top 5%) reviewer for American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology 2004 and 2007
- Top 10% reviewer for Obstetrics & Gynecology 2004, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2019
- Best abstract, 2006 meeting of the Infectious Diseases Society for Obstetrics and Gynecology
- CREOG National Faculty Award 2008
- Best Doctors in America 2013-present
- Pierce SL, Peck JD, Zornes C, Standerfer E, Edwards RK. Antibiotic prophylaxis to prevent obesity-related induction complications in nulliparae at ter (APPOINT): a pilot randomized controlled trial Am J Obstet Gynecol MFM 2022 (online ahead of print).
- Wild RA, Edwards RK, Zhao YD, Kim A, Hansen KR. Immediate weight loss before ovarian stimulation with intrauterine insemination is associated with a lower risk of preeclampsia in obese women with unexplained infertility. F S Rep 2022 (in press).
- Costantine MM, Sibai B, Bombard AT, Sarno M, West H, Haas DM, Tita AT, Paidas MJ, Clark EAS, Boggess K, Grotegut C, Grobman W, Su EJ, Burd I, Saade G, Chavez MR, Paglia MJ, Merriam A, Torres C, Habli M, Macones G, Wen T, Bofill J, Palatnik A, Edwards RK, Haeri S, Oberoi P, Mazloom A, Cooper M, Lockton S, Hankins GD. Performance of a multianalyte ‘rule-out’ assay in pregnant individuals with suspected preeclampsia. Hypertension 2022; 79:1515-24.
- Tita AT, Szychowski JM, Boggess K, Dugoff L, Sibai B, Lawrence K, Hughes BL, Bell J, Aagaard K, Edwards RK, Gibson K, Haas DM, Plante L, Metz T, Casey B, Esplin S, Longo S, Hoffman M, Saade GR, Hoppe KK, Foroutan J, Tuuli M, Owens MY, Simhan HN, Frey H, Rosen T, Palatnik A, Baker S, August P, Reddy UM, Kinzler W, Su E, Krishna I, Nguyen N, Norton ME, Skupski D, El-Sayed YY, Ogunyemi D, Galis ZS, Harper L, Ambalavanan N, Geller NL, Oparil S, Cutter GR, Andrews WW; Chronic Hypertension and Pregnancy (CHAP) Trial Consortium. Antihypertensive therapy during pregnancy for mild chronic hypertension. N Engl J Med 2022; 386:1781-92.
- Nadeau HCG, Bisson C, Chen X, Zhao YD, Williams M, Edwards RK. Vaginal-perianal or vaginal-perineal compared with vaginal-rectal culture-based screening for group B streptotocci (GBS) during the third trimester of pregnancy: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC Pregnancy Childbirth 2022 Mar 14; 22(1):204.
- Pierce SL, Bisson CM, DuBois ME, Grimes SB, Katz MS, Weed MM, Wyatt SN, Eckart EK, Peck JD, Edwards RK. Clinical effectiveness of adding azithromycin to antimicrobial prophylaxis for cesarean delivery. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2021; 225:335.e1-335.e7
- McCurdy R, Felder L, Saccone G, Edwards RK, Thornburg LL, Marrs C, Conner SN, Strauss R, Berghella V. The association of skin incision placement during cesarean delivery with wound complications in obese women: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 2022; 35:2311-23.
- Wang MJ, Jauk VC, George DM, Kuper SG, Edwards RK, Szychowski JM, Mazzoni SE, Files P, Tita AT, Subramaniam A, Harper LM. Patient satisfaction with outpatient cervical ripening in parous women. Am J Perinatol 2021; 38(S 01):e71-e76.
- Edwards RK, Norris ML, West MD, Zornes C, Loeffler KA, Peck JD. Controlled release dinoprostone insert and Foley compared to Foley alone: a randomized pilot trial. Am J Perinatol 2021; 38(S 01):e57-e63.
- Gurung S, Nadeau H, Maxted M, Peregrine J, Reuter D, Norris A, Edwards R, Hyatt K, Singleton K, Papin J, Myers D. Maternal zika virus (ZIKV) infection following vaginal inoculation with ZIKV-infected semen in the timed-pregnant olive baboon. J Virol 2020; 94:e00058-20.
- Pierce SL, Maxted ME, Peck JD, Lutz JS, Lopez-Davila MF, Vieira F, Atchley CB, Edwards RK. Impact of a policy to deliver at 39 weeks for the indication of class III obesity. Obesity (Silver Spring) 2020; 28:563-9.
- Subramaniam A, Van Der Pol WJ, Ptacek T, Lobashevsky E, Neely C, Biggio JR Jr, Lefkowitz EJ, Morrow CD, Edwards RK. Midtrimester microbial DNA variations in maternal serum of women who experience spontaneous preterm birth. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 2020; 33:359-67.
- Shore E, Sobel M, Burwick RM, Edwards RK. Perspectives on outpatient cervical ripening across borders. Contemporary OB/GYN 2020 supplement April 8, 2020.
- Edwards RK, Euliano NR, Singh S, LeDuke RC, Andrews WW, Jauk V, Subramaniam A, Szychowski JM. Evaluating fundal dominant contractions on spatiotemporal electrohysterography as a marker for effective labor contractions. Am J Perinatol 2019; 36:924-9.
- Pierce SL, Shibib DR, Robinson D, Edwards RK. A case of maternal sepsis and fetal demise associated with Streptococcus pseudoporcinus. Case Rep Obstet Gynecol 2019; article ID 4309191, 3 pages.
- Becker DA, Tang Y, Jacobs AP, Biggio JR, Edwards RK, Subramaniam A. Sensitivity of prenatal ultrasound for detection of trisomy 18. J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 2019; 32:3716-22.
- Nadeau HCG, Edwards RK. Prophylaxis against early-onset group B streptococcus infections in pregnant women who are allergic to penicillin. Clin Obstet Gynecol 2019; 62:771-80.
- Kuper SG, Jauk VC, Edwards RK, Harper LM. Outpatient Foley catheter for induction of labor in parous women: a randomized controlled trial (author reply). Obstet Gynecol 2018; 132:1063.
- Kuper SG, Jauk VC, George DM, Edwards RK, Szychowski JM, Mazzoni SE, Wang MJ, Files P, Tita AT, Subramaniam A, Harper LM. Outpatient Foley catheter for induction of labor in parous women: a randomized controlled trial. Obstet Gynecol 2018; 132:94-101.
- Subramaniam A, Owen J, Campbell SB, Harper LM, Fitzwater JL, Edwards RK. Maternal body mass index and oxytocin exposure in nulliparous women: is there an interaction associated with maternal and neonatal morbidities? J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med 2018; 31:2013-8.
- Pierce S, Bakker R, Myers DM, Edwards RK. Clinical insights for cervical ripening and labor induction using prostaglandins. AJP Rep 2018; 8:e307-e314.