
The University of Oklahoma College of Medicine began as a two-year basic science program in 1900 and became a four-year medical school in 1910. With the completion of the University Hospital in 1918, the University of Oklahoma College of Medicine became a Class A medical school and has continued as such since.
For many years, the University of Oklahoma College of Medicine Department of Surgery was attended by surgeons from the Oklahoma City Surgical Community. Dr. LeRoy D. Long, a practicing physician and surgeon in McAlester, Okla., was appointed the first Dean and Professor of Surgery in the School of Medicine in 1915. At that time, three voluntary faculty members were also appointed: Dr. William J. Jolley, the first department head; Dr. Robert M. Howard; and Dr. E. S. Ferguson.
The first surgical resident was accepted for the 1920–21 academic year for one year of training. One resident per year was appointed for the next decade. In 1938, the Surgical Residency Program was approved for two years of training. At that time, the number of residents varied from two to four. Following World War II, the program received approval for three years of training and, in 1952, for the full four years. By that time, the total number of surgical residents had increased to five. In 1959, the Thoracic Surgical Residency Program was approved.
The First Full-Time Faculty of the Department of Surgery

From left to right, standing, Drs. William R. Richardson and G. Rainey Williams; seated, Drs. Gilbert S. Campbell, Merlin K. DuVal Jr., Rene B. Menguy, and John A. Schilling.