The OUHSC’s advanced interventional pulmonology program offers minimally-invasive techniques to diagnose and treat diseases of the airways, pleura, mediastinum, and esophagus.
Our comprehensive Interventional Pulmonology (IP) program offers the following:
- Endobronchial Ultrasound (EBUS) and Esophageal Ultrasound (EUS) for diagnosis and staging of thoracic tumors
- Navigational bronchoscopy for diagnosis of solitary pulmonary nodules
- Radial Ultrasound for localization of solitary lung nodule
- Transbronchial Cryobiopsy for diagnosis of interstitial lung diseases
- Bronchial Thermoplasty for the treatment of severe persistent asthma
- Endobronchial valves placement for treatment of persistent air leak and Bronchoscopic lung volume reduction surgery (BLVRS) in appropriate patients with severe COPD
- Indwelling pleural catheter placement for malignant pleural effusion
- Medical Pleuroscopy for diagnosis of chronic pleural effusion
- Talc Pleurodesis
- Rigid Bronchoscopy
- Tumor debulking using various modalities such as Laser, Electrocautery, Argon Plasma Coagulation (APC), Photodynamic therapy (PDT), and Cryotherapy
- Tracheobronchial metallic and Silicone Stents placement
- Esophageal Stent placement
- Whole lung lavage in patients with Pulmonary Alveolar Proteinosis
- Peg tubes placement
- Percutaneous dilation tracheostomy placement
By rotating through our pulmonary consultation services and the dedicated procedure rotation, the OUHSC Pulmonary and critical care fellows have ample opportunities to acquire skills in performing advanced diagnostic and therapeutic procedures performed at the OUHSC and the Oklahoma City VA Health care system (VAHCS). All procedures are performed under the direction of two board-certified interventional pulmonology faculty.
In addition, fellows can rotate through the Interventional Pulmonology clinic located at Stevenson Cancer Center and acquire expertise in managing malignant pulmonary diseases by ongoing participation in multidisciplinary thoracic tumor board.
The OUHSC’s Interventional pulmonary program is under the direction of Dr. Fawad Chaudry, who completed his training in Interventional Pulmonology and Advanced Thoracic Interventional Endoscopy at the Centre Hospitalier de l’ Universite de Montreal, Canada and is currently Board certified in Interventional Pulmonary from the AABIP.
Dr. Houssein Youness is the director of the Oklahoma City VAHCS’s Interventional Pulmonary program and is currently board certified in Interventional Pulmonary from the AABIP.