When: Saturday, May 23, 2020
Where: Lloyd Noble Center, 2900 S. Jenkins Ave., Norman, OK
Time: 11 a.m.
Doors Open: 9:30 a.m.
- All student seating for commencement is assigned, see Student Administrative Deadlines below for deadlines/instructions on requests.
- There is NO limit to the number of guests you may invite to commencement. Tickets are NOT issued for commencement
- Guest seating is first-come, first-served.
- The commencement location is accessible to those needing special accommodations; see Student Administrative Deadlines below for deadlines/instructions on requests.
- Parking is NOT reserved for students or guests.
- When making post-commencement plans, students should be done at with the ceremony no later than approximately Noon.
Student Administrative Deadlines
Submit Student Information for Commencement (Deadline March 1)
- Click the link above to provide necessary information for commencement.
Provide Information for Regalia Order (Deadline February 1)
- A huge “Thank You” to the OU College of Medicine Office of Alumni and Development for their generosity in paying for the student regalia rental.
- Click the link above to provide the information needed for your regalia order.
- Regalia pickup will be at the OU College of Medicine Office of Student Affairs/Student Services BSEB 200.
- Return rental regalia to check out area immediately after commencement ceremony.
Regarding Regalia: Students must wear the regalia provided by the OU College of Medicine. Additional cords may be worn, but is limited to only those provided by either the OUHSC Office of Student Affairs or the OU College of Medicine. Approved cords include:
- Alpha Omega Alpha Cord (Green and Yellow twisted cord)
- Gold Humanism Honor Society Cord (Dark Green)
- HSC Crimson Club Cord (Crimson colored cord) – This cord recognizes members of HSC Crimson Club.
- HSC Sooner Standard Cords (Green or Blue colored cord):
- The green cord signifies a high level of volunteerism in the community.
- The blue cord signifies the highest level of volunteerism in the community.
- Multicultural Student Organization (MSO) Cord (Crimson and White twisted colored cord) – This cord recognizes members of recognized MSOs.
- HSC SGA Cord (White colored cord) – This cord recognizes students who have participated in HSC SGA.
- Veterans & Military Alliance (VMA) Cord (Red, White & Blue twisted colored cord) – This cord recognizes students who have participated in HSC VMA.
Guest Hooder Request (Deadline February 1)
It is the tradition that graduates of the OU College of Medicine-OKC campus are “hooded” by the Executive Dean of the OU College of Medicine; however, the OU College of Medicine does make an exception to allow a Guest Hooder to bestow the hood at graduation. The Executive Dean of the OU College of Medicine has stipulated only one Guest Hooder per graduating medical student. This form allows you to request a Guest Hooder. The deadline to submit a request is February 1. Students will be notified by the OU College of Medicine Office of Student Affairs/Student Services via email after March 1 if the Guest Hooder request has been approved or denied by the Executive Dean of the OU College of Medicine.
The Guest Hooder must meet this criteria: Parent, grandparent, sibling, or spouse who holds an M.D. or D.O. degree from the OU College of Medicine or another medical school or holds a Ph.D. and is an OU faculty member (Oklahoma City, Tulsa, or Norman campus). A member of the graduating class who is also married to a member of the same graduating class may request the spouse for hooding. Students who fall into this category may not hood one another. One student will be hooded first and may then hood the spouse. All Guest Hooders will be assigned seating. Guest Hooders will not be part of the processional or recessional (the exceptions are those in the graduating class married to a classmate who has been approved to hood the spouse and those whose guest hooders are OU faculty). Regalia for the Guest Hooder is required. The Guest Hooder may not participate in commencement without regalia. The rental cost for Guest Hooder regalia is approximately $50. The Guest Hooder must return the rented regalia immediately after the commencement ceremony (Exception: A Guest Hooder who is also faculty may have the University purchase the regalia in lieu of renting regalia and may then keep the regalia afterwards.)
Before April 15th:
Email seating preferences lists to Jim Albertson
- Please keep seating requests manageable (four to five of your classmates).
- You may request to be seated near other student groups (mods sometimes like to sit among one another).
- In your list, you may specify the seating order/arrangement.
- Be sure that in the email request all individuals you wish to sit alongside are included in the outgoing email. This way, classmates are aware with whom they have been asked to sit (and it keeps students from being asked to sit among several different groups).
- We will do our best to accommodate requests.
Email special accommodation requests to Jim Albertson.
- Arrangements for special accommodations must be made in advance.
- Seats for special accommodations may be reserved for up to four total guests, including the special accommodations guest.