- MD degree from University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center in 2011
- MS degree in Physiology from University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center in 2016
- Residency in Obstetrics and Gynecology at Case Western Reserve University-MetroHealth Medical Center/Cleveland Clinic Foundation 2011-2015
- Fellowship in Maternal-Fetal Medicine at University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center 2015-2018
- Obstetrics and Gynecology, 2017-present
- Maternal-Fetal Medicine, 2021-present
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine
Areas of Clinical Interest
- Maternal obesity
- Maternal diabetes
- Maternal substance use disorders
- Substance use disorders and pregnancy
- Maternal metabolic disease and pregnancy (e.g. obesity, diabetes)
Select Honors & Accomplishments:
- Alpha Omega Alpha, elected 2011
- MetroHealth Medical Center Resident Maternal-Fetal Medicine Award, 2015
- Cleveland Society of OB/GYN Research Day, Maternal-Fetal Medicine second place award, 2015
- University of Oklahoma College of Medicine Faculty Teaching Award, 2016-2020
- Pierce SL, Peck JD, Zornes C, Standerfer E, and Edwards RK. Antibiotic prophylaxis to prevent obesity-related induction complications in nulliparae at term: a pilot randomized controlled trial. Am J Obstet Gynecol MFM 2022 (online ahead of print).
- Pierce SL, Bisson CM, Dubois ME, Grimes SB, Katz MS, Weed MM, Wyatt SN, Eckart EK, Peck JD, and Edwards RK. Clinical effectiveness of adding azithromycin to antimicrobial prophylaxis for cesarean delivery. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2021; 225:335.e1-335.e7.
- Nagel EM, Kummer L, Jacobs DR Jr, Foster L, Duncan K, Johnson K, Harnack L, Haapala J, Kharoud H, Gallagher T, Kharbanda EO, Pierce S, Fields DA, Demerath EW. Human milk glucose, leptin, and insulin predict cessation of full breastfeeding and initiation of formula use. Breastfeed Med 2021; 16:978-86.
- Zantow E, Bryant S, Pierce S, DuBois M, Maxted M, and Porter B. Prenatal diagnosis of middle interhemispheric variant of holoprosencephaly: Report of two cases. J Clin Ultrasound 2021 Feb 8 (online ahead of print).
- Wolfs D, Lynes M, Tseng Y, Pierce S, Bussberg V, Darkwah A, Tolstikov V, Narain N, Kiebish M, Demerath E, Fields D, and Isganaitis E. Brown fat-activating lipokine 12,13-diHOME in human milk is associated with infant adiposity. The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism 2021; Jan 23;106 (2):e943 e956
- Heck JL, Jones EJ, Bohn D, McCage S, Goforth Parker J, Parker M, Pierce S, and Campbell J. Maternal mortality among American Indian/Alaska Native Women: A scoping review. J of Women’s Health 2021 Feb;30(2):220-229.
- Nadeau H, Maxted M, Madhavan D, Pierce S, Feghali M, and Scifres C. Insulin dosing, glycemic control, and perinatal outcomes in pregnancies complicated by type-2 diabetes. Am J Perinatol Sept 2020.
- Pierce S, Maxted M, Peck J, Lutz J, Lopez-Davila M, Vieira F, Atchley C, and Edwards RK. Impact of a policy to deliver at 39 weeks for the indication of class III obesity. Obesity 2020 March 28(3):563-569.
- Pierce S, Shibib D, Robison D, and Edwards RK. A case of maternal sepsis and fetal demise associated with Streptococcus pseudopocinus. Case Rep Obstet Gynecol 2019; article ID 4309191, 3 pages.
- Scifres CM, Mead-Harvey C, Nadeau H, Reid S, Pierce S, Feghali M, Myers D, Fields D, and Stoner JA. Intensive glycemic control in gestational diabetes mellitus: A randomized controlled clinical feasibility trial. Am J Obstet Gynecol MFM November 2019.
- Pierce S, Zantow EW, Phillips SD, Williams M. Methamphetamine-Associated Cardiomyopathy in Pregnancy: A case series. Mayo Clin Proc. 2019 March;94(3):551-554.
- Pierce S, Bakker R, Myers DA, Edwards RK. Clinical insights for cervical ripening and labor induction using prostaglandins. AJP Rep 2018; 8:e307-e314.
- Pierce S, Roberson AE, Hyatt K, Singleton K, Deschamps D, and Myers DA. Interaction between progesterone and interleukin-1b in modulating progesterone receptor expression and the inflammatory phenotype in human cervical fibroblasts. Reproductive Sciences. 2018 April;25(4):598-608.
- Bakker R, Pierce S, and Myers DA. The role of prostaglandins E1 and E2, dinoprostone, and misoprostol in cervical ripening: A mechanistic approach. Archives of Gynecology and Obstetrics. 2017 Aug;296(2):167-179.