The Geriatric Medicine Fellowship is a one-year program for physicians who are board eligible in Internal Medicine or Family Medicine. The program is designed with training to prepare for the sub-specialty of Geriatric Medicine.
Each year, two geriatric fellows may be accepted. The responsibilities will include both clinical care and learning activities in research and teaching.
The Geriatric Medicine Fellowship at University of Oklahoma College of Medicine is designed to train specialists in the field of geriatrics with expertise in aging-related basic sciences, psycho-social gerontological Issues, rehabilitation, and clinical care, both inpatient and outpatient.
The overall goal of the program is to enable physicians to:
- become competent practitioners in the field of geriatrics
- enhance your interpersonal and communication skills with patients, families, and professional colleagues
- develop competence in the inter-professional teamwork approaches to patient safety for older adults
- advance your abilities as a teacher of other learners
Fellows participate in:
- Geriatric Review Syllabus - Core Curriculum
- Geriatric Journal Club
- Clinical Grand Rounds (Geriatrics, Family Medicine, Internal Medicine)
- "Fellow as Teacher" learning activities
- Clinical Case Conferences
Diverse patients receive care at the OU Medical Center, from the fit and independent to the most frail and those near the end-of-life. Diverse social, ethnic, and economic backgrounds are represented. Fellows experience a wide variety of clinical environments and practices.
OU Medicine is at the heart of health care for the State of Oklahoma. Multiple clinical sites, both on campus and off, are engaged in the education of geriatric fellows.
Apply through ERAS
This is a list of ALL information required to successfully complete your application.
- Completed University Application (including photograph)
- Current copy of CV
- Personal Statement Letter
- Copy of ECFMG-IAP66 form (certificate) and a copy of your I-94 departure card (if applicable)
- Copy of your medical school transcript
- Copy of USMLE Scores (Steps 1, 2 & 3)
- Copy of state licenses for each state in which you are licensed (this information is also required on your application)
- A letter of recommendation from your Department Chair
- Two letters of recommendation from staff members of the hospital where you received the major part of your training and who directly observed and evaluated your clinical skills
WE LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR APPLICATION!