The University Of Oklahoma Department Of Anesthesiology offers a one-year ACGME-accredited fellowship in Pediatric Anesthesiology. Oklahoma Children’s Hospital is the only free-standing children's hospital in the state of Oklahoma and we care for a large and diverse patient population.
We offer a comprehensive program designed to prepare the fellow to be a consultant in pediatric anesthesiology and perioperative management for children of all ages. The fellow participates in a wide spectrum of clinical cases, procedures and techniques. Perioperative care and pain management are provided for patients ranging from premature neonates to adolescents. Oklahoma Children’s Hospital offers all pediatric surgical sub-specialties including: Cardiac Surgery, Neurosurgery, Ophthalmologic Surgery, Oro-Maxillo-Facial Surgery, Orthopedic Surgery, Otolaryngologic Surgery, Pediatric Surgery, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery and Urologic Surgery. We also provide anesthesia for Dental Procedures, Gastroenterology Endoscopy, Imaging Studies including MRI, Interventional Radiology and Radiation/Proton Therapy. Oklahoma Children’s Hospital is the only Pediatric Level 1 Trauma center in the state.
Our comprehensive curriculum includes experience with pediatric intensive care, cardiac critical care, perioperative echocardiography, acute and chronic pain management including regional anesthesia with ultrasound guidance, and opportunities for clinical investigation. Weekly didactic lectures by faculty enhance the educational experience and prepare the fellow for the pediatric anesthesiology subspecialty certification exam. Exposure to the economic and legal aspects of independent practice, medical simulation and participation in the annual anesthesia review course sponsored by the department is provided. Fellow participation in academic activities, such as research and quality assurance are strongly encouraged and supported with non-clinical time.
All of our faculty members are fellowship-trained in pediatric anesthesia and have diverse interests including education, cardiac anesthesia, acute and chronic pain management, business administration, regional anesthesia and clinical research.
- Randall Schwartz, MD - Interium Section Chief and Program Director, Pediatric Anesthesia Fellowship
- Andrew Gruel, MD - Assistant Program Director, Pediatric Anesthesia Fellowship
- Vivek Angadi, MD - Assistant Professor
- Suanne Daves, MD - Medical Director, Pediatric Cardiovascular Anesthesia
- Alberto J. de Armendi, MD, AM, MBA – Professor, Vice-Chair for Research
- Cassandra Duncan-Azadi, MD - Assistant Professor
- Rebecca Drinkaus, MD - Assistant Professor
- James Eiszner, MD - Assistant Professor
- Sorochi Esochaghi, MD – Assistant Professor
- Anjana Lal, MD - Assistant Professor
- Sathish Ramanathan, MD - Assistant Professor
- Kamilah Shy, MD - Assistant Professor
- Hamid Reza Vahabzadeh-Monshie, MD - Assistant Professor
Department Benefits for the Pediatric Anesthesia Fellow
- Salary (2022-2023) $75,316 (PGY5 Salary $65,316 + $10,000 departmental stipend)
- Medical license application fee reimbursement
- Medical license renewal fee reimbursement
- Individual health and dental insurance (family coverage may be purchased at group rate)
- Group Life Insurance, AD&D Insurance
- Long-term Disability insurance
- 2 monogrammed lab coats and laundry service
- Free parking
- Oklahoma Society of Anesthesiologists membership (courtesy of OSA)
- Membership to the American Society of Anesthesiologists
- Membership to the Society for Pediatric Anesthesia
- Discretionary account - $750 per year
- 24-hour computer access on campus
- Library services at the Robert M. Bird Medical Library
- E-mail account
- 15 vacation days each year
- Up to 5 days professional leave (with good academic standing)
- Up to 15 days sick leave/year
Application process via ERAS. Click link for more information about Pediatric Anesthesia Fellowship Match Process.