The OU Physicians Heart and Lung team is committed to helping you have the healthiest future possible. This multidisciplinary group of physicians is unmatched by any other in the state with dedicated specialists in every area of cardiovascular medicine and pulmonology. They work to ensure you receive seamless, quality care and long-term follow-up.
Our physicians are also researchers at the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, they are continuously involved in developing new and groundbreaking treatments for heart, lung and vascular diseases. This provides you access to the most cutting-edge care available
OU Physicians cardiologists provide general and specialized cardiac care. Their fields of expertise cover:
- Echocardiography (precise testing for diagnosis and evaluation of heart problems) - Our patients are evaluated using the newest generations of technology, such as ultrasound, treadmills, digital holter monitors and tilt tables, for the most accurate results.
- Heart Rhythm Disorders - Our physicians are internationally renowned for pioneering radio frequency catheter ablation procedures. Physicians from around the globe travel here to learn these procedures and patients come from all over the world to be treated with them.
- Interventional Treatments - These treatments are performed in a heart catheterization lab where physicians can locate and repair holes in the heart and re-open blocked arteries without open surgery. OU Physicians were the first doctors in the state to offer an FDA-approved, minimally-invasive treatment for carotid artery disease (a major risk factor for the most common type of stroke).
- Pacemakers and Internal Cardiac Defibrillators (ICDs) - OU Physicians patients have access to the expertise of the most experienced Oklahoma cardiologist in this field, who has implanted more pacemakers than any other doctor in the state.
- Congestive Heart Failure - The OU Physicians Congestive Heart Failure Center is dedicated to maximizing the quality of life for those who suffer from debilitating heart failure episodes. Treatment incorporates exercise, nutrition, education and close medication monitoring from physicians and specialized nurses.
Our center's pulmonary function testing laboratory is equipped with the newest technology and sophisticated innovations, for treating lung cancer, such as laser resection and brachytherapy. OU Physicians pulmonologists treat various lung problems, including:
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- Sleep disorders
- Acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS)
- Windpipe and bronchial obstructions
Our surgeons pioneered a complex procedure for repairing aortic valves that has saved the lives of many patients. These OU Physicians are among just a few in Oklahoma who perform complex, minimally invasive endograft repairs of stomach aortic aneurysms (weakened blood vessels) and long bypass grafts for diabetic feet. Following are a few more examples of the types of procedures these doctors offer:
- Cardiac and pulmonary resections
- Heart valve replacements
- Coronary artery bypass operations
- Limb salvaging surgery
- Aneurysm treatment